Anne L. Collins is a Partner in Lozano Smith's Sacramento office and serves as co-chair of the firm's Governance Practice Group. Ms. Collins is an experienced attorney who specializes in various areas of public agency law, including litigation, board governance, and facilities and business matters. Ms. Collins' extensive general counsel and litigation experience helps public agency clients effectively and efficiently navigate and resolve legal issues ranging from the routine to the novel and nuanced.
Ms. Collins' areas of expertise include:
- Litigation in the areas of eminent domain, writs, and contractor disputes;
- Construction contracting, claims, bidding, and alternative delivery methods;
- Brown Act, Public Records Act, conflicts of interest, and ethics;
- Contract procurement, and negotiations; and
- Real property disposition, acquisition, CEQA, and developer fees.
Ms. Collins regularly manages complex litigation for school districts, special districts, and other public agencies. She has managed several cases through jury trial, presented oral arguments at the Court of Appeal and drafted and argued numerous motions for summary judgment.
Ms. Collins is a highly sought-after presenter and regularly conducts workshops and presentations for numerous statewide associations and clients covering conventional and groundbreaking topics.
- Association of California School Administrators (ACSA)
- California Association of School Business Officials (CASBO)
- California Special Districts Association (CSDA)
- Coalition for Adequate School Housing (CASH)
- Fire Districts Association of California (FDAC)
- Small School Districts Association (SSDA)
- Brown Act, Public Records Act, and AB 1234
- Construction 101
- Contracting with Confidence
- Legal Developments Affecting Local Public Works Projects
- Masterclass in the Lease-Leaseback Procurement Process
- New World of Fraudulent Activities in Schools
- Public Works Bidding
- Purchasing 101 and 102
- Records Retention
- Technology Legal Issues
- Using Facilities and Property to Generate Revenue
Ms. Collins received her law degree from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law. As a law student, she earned top honors and received the Capital City Trial Lawyers Association Award. She also received the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Student Advocacy Award. She earned a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana.
With the easing of COVID-19 restrictions and California's "reopening," host Sloan Simmons has a timely discussion with Lozano Smith Governance Co-Practice Group Leader, Anne Collins and Lozano Smith Technology and Innovation Practice Group Leader Travis Cochran regarding the state of the law and future of public meetings under the Brown Act in light of pending legislation that would continue flexibility for remote participation by local officials and the public.
Host Devon Lincoln talks with Lozano Smith partners Mary Lerner and Anne Collins, co-chairs of the firm's Governance Practice Group, about the basics that every newly elected member of a local agency governing body should know when assuming office. This podcast isn't just for newly electeds - it's full of information for public officials, local agency staff, and members of the voting public too.