Episode 59 Student Legislative Update 2023
This episode provides school administrators with the latest legislative changes and developments regarding student matters with Lozano Smith and Student Practice Group leaders Ruth Mendyk and Josh Whiteside along with Fresno attorney Nisha Dale.
Show Notes & References
- 1:23- Governer's Executive Order: End of State of Emergency (February 28, 2023)
- 2:29 - Student threats and firearms (SB 906) (Client News Brief 41- August 2022)
- 7:09- Excused absence for civic or political event (SB 955) (Education Code section 48205) 9:50- Homeless youth (Client News Brief 4 - January 2023)
- 10:21- McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
- 11:10- New requirements for districts regarding homeless students (AB 2375)
- 11:41- CDE Model Housing Questionnaire
- 12:07- Updates to homeless youth policies (AB 408)
- 15:00- COVID-19 testing plan (SB 1479)
- 16:40- MOUs with non-profits for eye exams (AB 2329)
- 19:05- Including students on LCAP Parent Advisory Committees (SB 997) ( Client News Brief 9 - February 2023)
- 21:16- Graduation dress code and the First Amendment (Waln v. Dysart School District (9th Cir. 2022) 54 F.4th 1152 ( Client News Brief 6 - January 2023)
As the information contained herein is necessarily general, its application to a particular set of facts and circumstances may vary. For this reason, this News Brief does not constitute legal advice. We recommend that you consult with your counsel prior to acting on the information contained herein.