E53 Elections and the California Voting Rights Act - How and Why it Works, and "Post-Transition" Best Practices
Host Sloan Simmons joins veteran municipal practitioner James Sanchez and Governance Practice Co-Chair Ryan Tung the election process and the California Voting Rights Act (CVRA), including the legal requirements and practical impacts of the CVRA, as well as best practices for California public entities following the transition from at-large to trustee area elections.
Show Notes & References
- 1:57- California Voting Rights Act (CVRA), Elections Code Sections 14025-14032
- 2:10- At-large method of election
- 3:34- By-district or by-trustee area elections
- 4:39- Demand letters and litigation
- 5:47- Notice received and timelines
- 7:47- Low probability of successful defense of at-large election challenges
- 10:15- Pico Neighborhood Association et al. v. City of Santa Monica
- 11:08- Court of appreal decision and California Supreme Court review
- 11:48- Transition process from at-large elections
- 14:32- Unique issues for public agencies
- 17:40- Redistricting requirement
- 19:54- Post-transition time
As the information contained herein is necessarily general, its application to a particular set of facts and circumstances may vary. For this reason, this News Brief does not constitute legal advice. We recommend that you consult with your counsel prior to acting on the information contained herein.